Your downtown should be a dynamic part of your City. It is where people should work, play, and eat and most importantly socialize.
- Do you believe our current downtown meets this standard?
- ·Do you think our downtown has improved or declined over the last four years? If you think it has declined, then why would you vote for the current incumbent? Why reward poor performance?
- ·We have many wonderful business owners who have invested their hard earned money to invest in our downtown. Unfortunately residents do not frequent downtown Oshawa as they once did, resulting in a more challenging economic environment for these businesses.
- ·As a long standing resident of Oshawa, I do remember the glory days of Oshawa downtown. The downtown use to play an important role and identity of the City. Historically, our downtown used to be the jewel of the City and it has now lost its luster and shine.
- Right now, every Oshawa taxpayer is subsidizing the assessment/property taxes of our downtown. The property taxes for commercial/ businesses are based on the income approach. The more profit they make – the more they pay in property taxes. With the downtown, currently underperforming from a property tax basis, the remaining Oshawa taxpayers are paying more in taxes to offset the downtown’s lower assessment value.